Friday, November 22, 2013

Some roof, some bricks and no common sense!

We have had a few headaches in the last 10 days. There have been issues with getting the roof truss up, the brickies didn't roll the mortar on the garage and the wrong windows have been installed in the family room. Before I get into those issues I'll share some progress pictures. 

As the pictures below will show we have had some bricking and framing done since my last post. 

They started to brick the wall for the garage and forgot the roll the mortar... Lucky they were only four courses high when we realised this. They have since knocked the wall down and started again. 

We have also had several headaches with getting our roof truss erected. First the crane was too small. Then the next crane guy refused to drive down the block in fear that he wouldn't get back up - the joys of building on a sloping site!!! Finally a 50 tonne crane was booked to help lift the roof truss onto the frame. Even then the crane couldn't reach the back of the house so the framers have to do the rest manually - poor guys! 

This is the crane...

Here are some progress shots taken today. 

Down the hall, looking towards master bedroom. 

Front entrance. 

Photo of the inside of the garage wall. This wall will be plastered on the inside. 

I also noticed today that the incorrect window was put in the family room. The windows for the family room, meals area and garage are the same windows except that the garage ones aren't double glazed. The framers accidentally put a single glazed window in the family room and left the double glazed one on site to be installed in the garage. I have emailed the builder today to rectify this. Given that I picked this up whilst still at frame stage I assume it will be a quick fix. 

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Framing almost complete

Quite a bit has happened in the last week. Our frame is almost complete, we have had two posts erected for our balcony and there is a lot of scaffolding. Some bricks have been delivered, as well as the roof truss so that will be going on hopefully by the end of this week. 

Here are some progress shots of the frame from the top of the block. 

In that first pic you'll notice there is a big tree towards the rear of the block and it's disappeared from the subsequent photos :D 

This is what is left of that tree. 

View from our bedroom window with and without the tree. I'm glad we got rid of it now as it had another 10m to grow!

You can see the two steel posts for the balcony amongst the scaffolding.

The base of the posts.

We met our aircon/heating guy on site last night to run through the system requirements. We have decided on a multi-head split system for the bedrooms and man cave. The theatre room, study, kitchen, meals, family room and hallway will be a ducted reverse cycle system. This will suit our requirements and lifestyle habits well. 

We are also shopping around for some sound batts to put in some of the walls. There are so many to choose from - its confusing! We better decide soon though as the builder has indicated they'll be plastering in December. 

Monday, November 4, 2013

Framing commenced

Unfortunately we haven't had a lot of progress in the last four weeks. At least, i would have expected more progress. 

We have some of the framing done for upstairs. This is the first section that was done. Looking down the hallway to the master bedroom. 

Looking up at the master bedroom from the backyard 

Framing around the staircase was done. Pantry framing, linen cupboard and WIR framing done - hard to see from this picture but I promise it's amongst all that timber! One of the walls in the hallway is also done. 

The doorway leading from the front to the bedrooms 

You can see the framing for the bedrooms, bathroom and laundry laying down ready to be put up. The layout has also been done for the study, theatre and family room. Those two uprights at the back are the steel posts that sit either side of the sliding door from meals to alfresco area. They will of course be concealed in the wall. 

Our concrete pad footings at the rear for the alfresco/balcony posts have to be redone - for the third time! This is because they don't meet the engineering guidelines. Although its another holdup I suppose I should be grateful that it was detected and will be rectified. I'm sure there are some builders who would have proceeded without fixing it. Still, it's annoying to have yet another hold up. 

Roof truss is due to be completed mid November and lock up in December. Or so we are told. 

We have also been told that we are still on track for a March handover. I'm not holding my breath though. 

Hubby spoke to a tree lopper today and we are going to have that tree taken down soon. As well as it blocking our view from the bedroom and living area it will present problems down the track. It can grow up to 20m tall and it'll be too dangerous to have it close to the house. 

Stay tuned for more updates...